Apple launched iOS 12 on iPhone, iPad, and iPod on September 17, 2018. Apple is offering upgrades to the new operating system to the following devices. These upgrades are absolutely free.
- 8 / 8 Plus
- 7 / 7 Plus
- 6s / 6s Plus
- 6 / 6 Plus
- 6th gen
- 5th gen
- Air 2
- Mini 4
- Mini 3
- Mini 2
Problems with Downloading and Installing iOS 12
Recently several users have experienced problems with upgrading to iOS 12 on their device.
- The most common problem while updating is if your device keeps on checking for the update for a prolonged period of time (more than 1 minute). If you have checked that your device is eligible for an upgrade using the list above, then try restarting your device and try again. If It still doesn’t work, upgrading via iTunes on a PC or Mac usually does the trick.
- If your device is unable to check for an update or fails to update while downloading, then you should also try to restart. If it doesn’t work, then try installing from iTunes. I have consulted Apple Technicians regarding software updates and the easiest way to complete them without problems is by using iTunes of PC or Mac.
New Data Security Features in iOS 12
- Password manager will warn you of reused passwords. As a data security tip, you should always keep different passwords for every account. It will also remember newly saved passwords in your iCloud Keychain so that you have them saved across all your devices automatically.
- Safari now prevents in-browser fingerprinting and tracking. Third-party websites and social media networks will no longer be to try to access your fingerprint data. They are also restricted from trying to track what sites you visit after visiting a particular website.
- Two-factor authentication (2FA)is easier than ever. When a text message is received with a two-factor authentication passcode, autofill in keyboard will automatically suggest the temporary password as a fill-in option without having to leave the app.
- USB restricted mode will prevent any device connected to your Apple device from accessing any data after being locked for one hour. The phone will need to be unlocked again to regain access.
- Encrypted Video Chat and iMessage will allow safer data to be sent across networks. Apple or third parties will be unable to track or read your encrypted data.