In this free guide, you will learn the process to create a VPN server on your Windows computer without installing the third party software.
If you are using Windows Operating System then users have the ability to set-up VPN server because it is an inbuilt function. But, you can’t access this feature directly due to its disable property. VPN Server uses point-to-point tunneling protocol (PPTP).
Use of virtual private network (VPN) is demanding among techie groups, different branches of a company or college. Even, you can connect your personal computer with different LANs.
Process for Creating a VPN Server
To initiate this process, go through the following steps:
- Press ‘Windows Key’ then type ‘ncpa.cpl’
- Now, click ‘Enter’ key
- Network Connections window appears
- In ‘Network Connections’ windows, click the ‘File’ menu then select ‘New Incoming Connection’.
- Here, you can now select the user accounts i.e. required to access from the remote location
- To create another ‘User Login’, with limited permission, click ‘Add someone to create a new user account’. This practice is helpful to boost security as well as we don’t need to create VPN logins for external users from the administrator account.
- To prevent your VPN network from hackers, you should apply the strong password. You can also try a complex pattern to ensure high-end security for your VPN channel.
- In Windows, you can decide the medium to connect with people. You just need to click along ‘Through the Internet’ option. This facility helps you to allow VPN connections over the Internet. Another medium for the connection is the dial-up modem. But, you must have the dial-up hardware.
- Now, Users can select the networking protocols i.e. essential to enabled for incoming connections.
If your company is not interested in sharing resources (Printer or Common File System) for all employees on a local network then uncheck the ‘File and Printer Sharing option’.
- Now, Click on the ‘Allow access’ button and then you would be able to set up a Windows-based VPN server without installing any other software.
In case, you have an urgent need to disable VPN server then don’t need to become panic. You can simply delete the ‘Incoming Connections’ item from your Network Connections window.
Important Guidelines for Router Setup
To make router setup properly, log in then need to forward port 1723 to the IP address of the targeted computer where you have decided to set-up the entire VPN server.
To make the entire system safe & secure, you can create a port forwarding rule that pushes a random ‘external port’ to ‘internal port’ of your computer. It makes a connection to access VPN Server by using ‘external port’. This protocol is helpful to protect your VPN server from unwanted programs. To make connection safer from the outside world, you can set a router or a firewall to allow incoming connections from a pre-defined IP address.
How to Connect with VPN Server
In the process of making a connection with a VPN server, you should know the public IP address of your computer i.e. IP address over the Internet. Even, you can use its dynamic DNS address.
Simply, go to the ‘Connect to a network option’ in Windows then enter your computer’s public IP address. Now, a Windows prompts with required parameters which are username and password. Enter the essential input to log in properly.
If we compare this inbuilt feature with Team Viewer then you can say that it has some limitations. But, it is an interesting feature i.e. completely free of cost. You should also ensure the ability to ‘forward ports from your router’.